Building community in the Co-ops
Many of NABORS supported members live in Housing co-operatives throughout the city of Toronto and have become important contributors as board members, committee members and volunteers. Some initiate and participate in bar-b-ques, supper clubs, garden clubs, cooking kitchens, movie nights and participate in gardening projects and other various social events that help to build community in the co-op.
Other supported members that choose not to live in co-ops have their own living arrangements and are involved in their own communities where they live.
All are welcome to participate in NABORS educational and social events which are often held at the various housing co-operatives or local community locations.
Building community within NABORS
There are many responsibilities that go along with being a supported member of NABORS and circle members assist with many of these. Much of this is the work of NABORS and is completed in the spirit of accountability to each other and requires:
- Working cooperatively together
- Planning for the future
- Seeking and identifying potential new circle members
- Planning for the succession of those who have leadership roles in the circle
- Designating two council representatives able to assist with board and committee work
- Designating a representative for NABORS Allocation Committee
- Designating a circle representative to sign support staff timesheets and receive circle reports
- Selecting, supervising and evaluating support staff
- Being certain to meet employment standards, with assistance and direction from NABORS core staff, in regard to hours of work and scheduling of support staff
- Developing monthly staffing schedules and administering allocated support hours
- Reading, understanding and signing the partnership agreement.
Building Community engagement
There are many ways members of NABORS can get involved in the larger community:
Join a Committee:
There are a number of Standing Committees that report to the NABORS Board of Directors that help promote NABORS Mission and Values:
- Strategic Planning
The Board will also, from time to time, strike Ad-Hoc committees to work on specific projects. Current Ad-Hoc committees:
Planning Social Events:
There are a number of social events that are organized by NABORS throughout the year. We are always looking for an extra set of hands to help with planning and organizing.
Sit on the BoarD of directors:
Being a part of the NABORS Board of Directors is an excellent way to learn about how NABORS as a whole operates, and be a part of the decision-making process.
If you are a member of the NABORS community and are interested in serving on the Board of Directors, contact the Chair, Governance Committee.